Sunday, April 14, 2013

Turtles


I love the story behind this piece, and for that it is one of the pieces that I am most proud of.

In 2010, my friend Kim's home in West Seattle burned down while they were camping. They were able  to rescue some of the animals, but they lost their turtles. It was so tragic, but they were able to move to a new house and begin to rebuild. Kim and her then girlfriend (now wife!) love their turtles, and she asked me to paint them for her in remembrance, and to represent their lives together. She requested a red-eared slider (right) and an African tortoise (left).

When I presented the painting to Kim, it brought tears to her eyes. She gave it to her wife as a wedding gift, and it now hangs in the front entryway of their new home.

12" x 36"
February 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment